IDM shows download speed in Bytes per second and some providers write their bandwidth in Bits per second. One Byte is 8 Bits so download speed in IDM may be 8 times less than reported connection bandwidth.
Firstly, check that “Downloads→Speed Limiter→Turn off” IDM main menu item is enabled. Speed limiter feature limits IDM speed to some preset value.
Download speed strongly depends on:
- Performance of your Internet connection.
- Your Internet service provider (ISP).
- A site you are downloading from.
- The time of the day you are downloading at.
- Other Internet applications that download from the Internet at the same time.
To increase your speed:
1. Try to close other applications which may download at the same time.
2. Try to download from a mirror site.
3. Check your IDM connection settings:
If you are on a broadband connection, please try to select a high bandwidth connection type in “Options→Connection” dialog. You should try to increase “Default max. conn. number” on the same dialog (arrow 2 on the image). Try to set “Default max. conn. number” to 16 or 32. Also you may need to select a faster connection type at the same dialog (arrow 1 on the image). IDM does not open new connections if set connection speed is already reached.
if you are using Dial-Up, try to set a lower number of simultaneous connections in IDM options (Default max. conn. number). Try to set it to 1 or 2 (arrow 2 on the image).
4. Try to schedule downloads and download at a night time.
5. Don’t forget to check with your ISP your bandwidth limits and download speeds.